Acting Essex County Prosecutor Robert D. Laurino announced today the arrests of 28 adult fugitives wanted for outstanding warrants ranging from traffic violations to burglary.
The early morning round-up was conducted today at the Hotel Rivera, 169 Clinton Avenue, Newark. Officers from the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office assisted by the Essex County Sheriff’s Department arrested 20 males and 8 females. Eight of the fugitives were on public assistance. All were living at the hotel at the time of their arrest. Bail as high at $5,000 was set for some of the defendants.
The location of the round-up was the scene of a double murder on July 13. At approximately 8:30 a.m. on July 13, the lifeless bodies of Adrian Price, 55, and Towanna Freeman, 42, were found when maintenance workers entered their room. Guests at the hotel were complaining of a foul odor coming from the room. The victims were boyfriend and girlfriend and had been living in the hotel since Dec.15, 2009. The double murder is still under active investigation.
“In addition to rounding up and removing fugitives, such operations can be beneficial in developing criminal intelligence,’’ said Acting Prosecutor Laurino.
Here is a list of the defendants and the charges:
1. Windell Simmons 9-26-1957- drugs
2. Damon Murdaugh 7-23-1978-drugs
3. Jeffrey Jackson 10-16-1971- traffic
4. Michael Wance 5-26-1963- assault
5. Gerald Allen 7-26-1957- assault
6. James Smith 3-17-1964- theft
7. Eric Pate 12-22-1986- theft
8. Rodney Bullock 2-22-1973- traffic
9. Charles Norton 10-9-1973- theft
10. James Edwards 7-19-1959- traffic
11. John Davis Jr. 9-14-1958- traffic
12. Brian Taylor 3-6-1962- theft
13. Ahmad Watson 11-1-1964- burglary
14. Jason Rivers 2-21-1980- traffic
15. Rufus Hughes 7-16-1955- drugs
16. Carlos Mano 8-9-1967- theft
17. John l. Williams 6-29-1953-contempt court
18. Marvin Watkins 10-13-1954-traffic
19. Deshawn Graham 7-29-1974-drugs
20. William Blunt 7-2-1956- drugs
21. Shirley Wright 9-19-1964- theft
22. Annie Marius 8-29-1958- burglary and traffic
23. Joann Morris 8-18-1963- drugs
24. Mary Shoulders 3-16-1959-drugs
25. Lakisha Good 5-8-1972- burglary and traffic
26. Sandra Wilson 8-28-1965- prostitution and theft
27. Kimberly James 6-10-1979- theft
28. Kim Pickett 10-25-1966-contempt court/theft
These are mere accusations. All defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.